Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Web 3.0?

Last week interns who were interested met with the Senior Vice President of Marketing for Planet Green, Rob Jacobson, via videoconference (its amazing what technology can do) to discuss a potential project with him. He wants the interns to explore different social media outlets that the Planet Green Network (the first 24 hour green living channel) can use to reach different people. We haven't received the exact details of the project yet but needless to say I am excited about what might be in store.

I spent some time before I started my internship reading about social media and I was astounded by how much information there is on the supposed Web 3.0 or the "Semantic Web." Here is a short video which describes the transition from Web 1.0, to Web 2.0 and now to Web. 3.0


In the past months I have just wrapped my head around the concepts of Web 2.0 and developments in the nature of the world wide web are being changed so quickly that I can't seem to keep up. I was reminded of Web 3.0 this weekend when I saw a commercial for Bing.com....a new search engine which Microsoft has been marketing as a "Decision Engine" stating that the search functions bring more relevant results and organizes them in a meaningful way. This is all well and good since there seems to be an information overload on the world wide web but I am struggling to understand just how this will affect communications. I suppose it is something I will have to read up on more but once I understand it will Web 3.0 be long gone and Web 4.0 be up and running? I think it is important to understand the differences because they reflect a change in our technology and more importantly a change in our society. But Web 3.0 is in its early stages and I think it is too early to really tell how communications will be affected by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment